Monday, August 10, 2009

Dumpy old motels....

Well the weekend came around and James was still cutting grain. I booked a room for James and I for Friday night. There was some kind of Indian get together going on and so all the hotels/motels in Blackfoot, Pocatello, American Falls, and everywhere else was booked. I was lucky to get the last room at the Hillview Motel in American Falls. To give you an idea of what this motel is like you can drive by it on the freeway and you'd think it was deserted. It's a rundown, very ghetto motel, but it served it's purpose for us. So James finally got through cutting at eleven and we drove to our motel. We went to check in at the office and the clerk came out wearing lingerie. Dead serious. James and I weren't sure what to think. We waited until we were outside to burst out laughing. Needless to say the woman did not look good in what she was wearing. I think that's what made it so funny. The bed and the pillows were like rocks! I ended up using James as my pillow. On Saturday we went out to go cut more grain and it started to rain. James was so disappointed, but I was jumping for joy. Even if it rains just a little they can't cut grain until it dries. So it rained enough that James and I got to home. We spent the rest of the day being lazy. I love having him home.

So this is a picture of the four combines they're using to cut the grain. Sorry it's such a terrible picture. James wouldn't stop so I could take a picture plus it's raining.


Here's a better picture. You can see three combines with the tractor pulling the grain cart.

Another story. About two weeks ago, I drove up to American Falls with James and his Dad to go pick up the combine. At the start of the drive they asked me if I wanted to drive the truck home or the tractor. Thinking they were just joking I said I wanted to drive the tractor. I've never driven a tractor in my life! The biggest thing I've ever driven is my Dad's pick up! Well finally I figured out that we were going to be driving a combine, a tractor, and the truck. Hmmm....three vehicles and there's only three people in the car. I didn't want James' dad to see that I was scared out of my mind to drive the tractor and there was no way I was going to drive the truck since it had to pull the header behind it. So James gave me a two minute crash course on how to drive a tractor. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.


It's been a while since I posted pictures. This is Austin cutting tile for the house Alise, Austin, Danielle, and James were redoing. Austin cut all the tile. He did a great job on it.


James (my James) redid the basement for them. At first it was just one big huge room that wasn't finished and had posts in random places. Oh man it was awful! I forgot my camera the first night and so you can't see what it really looked like. Just imagine that the wood planks aren't there. In the picture you can tell that there is a huge post and then right behind it was a smaller post.



This is just a different view of the basement. In this picture you can see all four of the random placed posts. It was decided that James would build an enclosed family room, storage area, and a hall. It turned out really good.

3 comments:

  1. I have soooo many things I could say in response to this. But in fact, I will just say: Erica I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Erica - you are too funny! You make me laugh! :) Welcome to farming life, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. To bad you didn't get that womans picture so we could all enjoy the moment! (LOL)

    As far as the tractor driving goes...I'm pretty proud of you! Wow, a TRACTOR!! You go girl! (just let me know next time so I'm safely off the roads :))

    ReplyDelete